Saturday, March 27, 2010

NNICQotD March 1-12

Yeah, it took me a while to get around to this post, I know. Here's the explanations of the Not Necessarily In Context Quote of the Day for the first two weeks of March.

Mon 3/1 "So we're making albino midgets?" "Yes."
We were doing a thing in science class that modeled dihybrid crosses with coin flips. The traits involved were dwarfism and albinism, so I asked the assistant teacher this question. (FYI, I know midget isn't really PC, but that's the word the worksheet used. Not my fault.)

Tues 3/2 "Plus, if a moose is carrying a gun, it's an illegal moose.
I have no idea what this means. There are a few boys in my history class who are class clowns. Somehow, I wound up mentioning that I'd eaten reindeer stew in Alaska, and one of the boys said something about eating moose even though it was illegal, and then added this.

Wed 3/3 "But you can't give a pop quiz, like, in the middle of class!"
This was said by a girl in my math class with about 15 minutes left in the period. Long story short, we knew there would be a quiz soon, but we didn't know when. Basically, some of the class was afraid that we were about to get it then, because the teacher can be intimidating sometimes. His quizzes are usually a lot longer than 15 min, mind you. (Except the unit circle quiz, which is what the pop quiz turned out to be a few days later. We only had 10 minutes to fill out a blank unit circle.)

Thurs 3/4 "The purple wildcat can probably self-pollinate."
This is also from Bio class. We were doing a practice problem about incomplete dominance involving red, purple, and blue wildcats. Someone had forgotten what the F2 generation was, so the assistant teacher said that it was when the F1 generation self pollinates or something to that degree. A student pointed out that wildcats were animals, not plants, and this was the teacher's joking response.

Fri 3/5 "If you say sin, I will smack you."
The abbreviation for sine is sin. Trying to be funny, a guy in my class pronounced it like it was spelled (as in a bad thing) instead of pronouncing it like sign. My teacher (who often makes jokingly empty threats to hurt/disfigure/kill us) didn't like this.

Wed 3/10 "Do we have to stab ourselves?"
We were doing a lab about blood types and one kid was wondering where the blood would come from. For the record, we used fake blood.

Thurs 3/11 "What an asshole. I hate Mozart."
Since chorus class is right after lunch, we're allowed to eat it in the chorus room. A senior who's played the piano for about a decade, was sitting at the piano and telling us some things about music theory. She told us that modern composers break some of the theory "rules" set forth by people like Mozart. I guess she doesn't like those rules.

Fri 3/12 "The pizza would have to own something the way you're using it."
We were writing sentences with homophones in English, and one set was its and it's. A student read a sentence about pizza that used the wrong one. Once the teacher realized, she said this.

Well, that sucked. I'll try to do better next time. If there is a next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment