Friday, March 19, 2010

I had an RBI!

As the title suggests, I had an RBI yesterday. But perhaps it would be better if I started at the beginning-

My JV softball team was supposed to have scrimmages last Saturday and Tuesday. It rained a lot over the weekend, so the Saturday scrimmage got postponed a week and the Tuesday one got rescheduled for yesterday (Thursday). The schedules we were given had yesterday's game as an away game, but the online schedule said we were at home, which was what the coaches kept telling us.

So we get to the field and at around 3 are trying to set it up for a 3:30 game. We're having a problem putting in the game bases when Coach comes over and tells us that we're on the road and that the bus, which had left with the varsity players, was coming back to get us. I think what might have happened (but I don't know) was that the coaches thought that JV was at home and varsity was away, because most schools probably only have one softball field. However, they had two fields where we were going. A few minutes later, we were on a bus to a large Baltimore county school. But that's a pretty big county, and of course the game wasn't in the nearby part. It was in a part of the county all the way on the other side of the city. And after riding a bus for a couple hours (traffic was really bad), we got there. We did a quick warmup, and what was supposed to be a 4 o' clock game started at about 5:30.

I batted second and played third. (Not really relevant, but for some reason the bus driver, who was a Yankee fan, was one of the base coaches) The leadoff hitter took two balls and the home plate ump said it was a 3-1 count. No one protested, so I thought I'd gone crazy and missed the first two pitches. I got up to bat with a runner on first and struck out looking on two pitches because it hadn't yet registered that every batter was starting 1-1 because of the late start. After sucking defensively I came up to bat again with the bases loaded in the 2nd inning. I worked an RBI walk on 3 pitches, but I was left on base due to the 5 runs an inning rule. The game was called with 2 outs in the bottom of the 4th (I would've led off the 5th) because all games have to end at 6:30, even though there was plenty of daylight left. We'd lost 13-6. We got back on the bus and were driven home by the bus driver/base coach. The return trip took under an hour, but I wound up not getting to my house until after 8, and I was tired. Naturally, I still had dinner to eat and homework to do, and my dad was mad at me for him not knowing it was a road game (but that's another story).

No comments:

Post a Comment